This bird ornament was made for demonstrating the use of the skew
Note the convex bevel on this skew chisel. Honed.
This is the "texture tool" made from a concrete drill.
Some of the tool hints that Eli Avisera left me with:
- Use rounded bevels on skew and beading tool. (As opposed to the more traditional hollow ground bevels.) Eli honed his skew on a buffing wheel with green buff compound. See the video on the previous post.
- Have very small bevels on gouges. The rest is just "cut away".
- Use epoxy filler to fill the flute of small gouge to reduce flex.
- Use a carbide tipped drill to make a texture tool filling the flutes with epoxy.
- Round stock made into a "combination tool". This is a bit like a gouge with no flute and "negative rake'. Check his webpage for more details.